Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's STILL that simple . . .

Last night I was watching a movie with my roommate and friend Tiffany called "Love's Unfolding Dream" it is like the 6th in a series produced from Hallmark and based on a series of books, I love the series because they are good and have little profound gems hidden in them. In fact I will share more than one.

In the first movie (Love Comes Softly) the main character Marty's husband is killed and she is presented with an offer to marry a man to survive the winter and then he will pay for her trip back home. He lost his wife several years back and is still a VERY faithful man. One day she is talking with him and says something about how could God have let such horrible things happen to him, such a good man? He replies with a this (Missy is his daughter):
Missy could fall down and hurt herself, even if I'm walking right there beside her. That doesn't mean that I allowed it to happen. She knows, as far as unconditional love, I'll pick her up and I'll carry her. I'll try to heal her. I'll cry when she cries. And I'll rejoice when she is well. In all the moments of my life, God has been right there beside me. The truth of God's love is not that he allows bad things to happen. It's His promise that he'll be there with us when they do.

I love that perspective . . . now for the one that hit me last night. I was hit so hard by the following because it is so true and yet sometimes it is SO easy to forget it as we get wrapped up in the whirlwind of life, the fears and dreams of the future. Here is the conversation that struck me:
Belinda: "Everything seems to be getting a lot harder all of the sudden. Only a few years ago I knew how to get answers to my questions."

Grandma: "You wish it were simple again like when you were a child? You could say a heart-felt prayer to God and just listen for his guidance?"

Belinda: "Yes"

Grandma: "Belinda, it's STILL that simple."

No comments: